Thursday, May 21, 2009

Morals and Ethics


I wonder why people still cheat maybe while writing a term paper or a business contract knowing the fact that one day the "culprit" will be caught and shall face the consequences. Is it because it is hard to get caught or I don't care attitude is in play! Also, there is something call a "white lie" which I have dealt with in the business environment.

A good example I see and hear almost everyday is the real estate brokers who will do anything in their means to close the deal, especially in our current bear market. If asked a direct question, "aren't you afraid," "what about your morals and ethics?" A simple answer I usually receive is," I have a family to support and I have bills to pay." How can I argue with that statement? Practically it makes sense but morally or ethically the action by these brokers are wrong.

How can we forget our dear friend Mr. Bernard Madoff! Now here is a situation which deals with pure greed! Mr. Madoff knew what he was doing is wrong and knew the consequences of the end result but still he kept on manipulating the market with a beautiful investment scheme. I got tempted as well but I did not go for it as it sounded too good to be true! I have a better chance with black jack in Vegas! I am sure he will have enough time in the jail cell to think about his personal morals and ethics.

No comments:

Post a Comment